Thursday 13 December 2012

Saint Lucy - A saint for Advent

Today the Chrch celebrates the feast of Saint Lucy. We know very little about this saint of the early Church. We know she lived in Sicily and that she died in 304. Legend says that she was a devout Christian who offered the whole of her life to God to whom she offered a vow of perpetual virginity. The love she wanted as the prime focus in her life was for God alone.


However, the natural beauty of Lucy attracted admirers and one of these made it known that Lucy was a christian. For this Christian faith she gave her life. Her martyrdom took place during the persecution of Christians by the Emporer Diocletian.

Lucy is patron saint of the blind and images of her often depict her holding her eyes, or with empty eye sockets. There are two stories surrounding this. One says that her suiter fell in love with her because she had beautiful eyes, so Lucy is said to have ripped them out and presented them to him, in order that she might be free to love God. Another version of the story says that the gaurds who came to arres Lucy tore out her eyes.


Why is she a Saint for Advent. Lucy means light. And in this season of short days and long nights, when we are waiting in hope for the coming of Jesus it is light that we long for. Maybe some of the questions we can ask ourlseves in this mid Advent feast can be - How am I longing for light? What enlightens me? What am I looking for? Does the love I have for others enoble them ot diminish them? What is my perpsective on life? How do I see things? Is Christ the one I seek, the one I love?


Saint Lucy
Whose beautiful name signifies 'LIGHT'
by the light of faith which God bestowed upon you
increase and preserve His light in my soul
so that I may avoid evil,
Be zealous in the performance of good works
and abhor nothing so much as the blindness and
the darkness of evil and sin.
Obtain for me, by your intercession with God
Perfect vision for my bodily eyes
and the grace to use them for God’s greater honour and glory
and the salvation of souls.
St. Lucy, virgin and martyr
hear my prayers and obtain my petitions.
Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment